Mid function in excel is a type of text function which is used to find out strings and return them from any mid part of the excel, the arguments this function takes is the text or the string itself and the start number or position of the string and the end position of the string to extract the result.
Syntax: =MID(text, start_num, num_chars)
The MID function syntax has the following arguments:
- text – The text to extract from.
- start_num – The location of the first character to extract.
- num_chars – The number of characters to extract.
Example: Let’s look at some Excel MID function examples and explore how to use the MID function as a worksheet function in Microsoft Excel:
- MID returns a specific number of characters from a text string, starting at start_num and continuing through start_num + num_chars.
- Use the MID function when you want to extract text from inside a text string, based on location and length.
- You can use FIND or SEARCH to locate start_num when you don’t know the location in advance.