Vlookup excel function is an inbuilt referencing function which is used to find out a certain data from a group of data or range which is also known as table array, vlookup function uses total of four arguments, the first argument is the reference cell and the second argument is the table array, the third argument is the column number where our data is and fourth the matching criteria.
Syntax: =VLOOKUP (value, table, col_index, [range_lookup])
The VLOOKUP function syntax has the following arguments:
- value – The value to look for in the first column of a table.
- table – The table from which to retrieve a value.
- col_index – The column in the table from which to retrieve a value.
- range_lookup – [optional] TRUE = approximate match (default). FALSE = exact match.
Example: Let’s look at some Excel VLOOKUP function examples and explore how to use the VLOOKUP function as a worksheet function in Microsoft Excel:
1. Syntax: =VLOOKUP(I15,H8:K13,4,FALSE)
Based on the Excel spreadsheet above, the following VLOOKUP examples would return:
2. Syntax: =VLOOKUP(I15,H8:K13,3,FALSE)
3. Syntax: =VLOOKUP(I15,H8:K13,3,TRUE)